Have you decided who your property and wealth should be passed on to after your death? Do you have a Will that is legally valid and up to date? If you’ve made a Will but you’re not sure if it still reflects your final wishes, John Whyte’s Will Writing Service in Brighton can help you review your instructions and update this important document.
If you haven’t made a Will yet, you’re certainly not alone. According to recent research, over 30 million UK adults don’t have a valid Will. This is a concerning statistic because making a Will is your final opportunity to specify where you would like your property, financial and other assets to go after you’ve passed on. Should the worst happen and you die ‘intestate’, e.g. without a Will, it will be up to the law to determine how your estate will ultimately be distributed and the result may not be what you would have wished.
John Whyte is an experienced Will Writer in Brighton & Hove and part of Stanford Legal Services. He can work closely with you and expertly draft your Will to ensure that your final wishes are recorded clearly and legally.
Why should you make a Will?
Many people mistakenly believe that a Will is only really necessary if you’re wealthy. However, the size of the estate is only part of the story. Making a Will while you are physically and mentally fit and healthy should serve to protect your loved ones’ future when you are no longer there to look after them. There are many good reasons for making a Will, including:
- Specifying a legal guardian for your children
- Ensuring that your children/dependents are financially provided for
- Protecting an unmarried partner
- Safeguarding your family home
- Choosing who will get any pets
- Protecting your digital assets
- Mitigating your inheritance tax exposure
- Leaving a legacy to charity
What happens if you don’t make a Will?
We appreciate that thinking about your own mortality is a difficult thing to do. However, leaving it until it is too late comes with a serious risk of heartache and potential hardship for those you leave behind. Here are just some of the serious consequences that could occur if you die intestate:
Funeral – Your funeral and associated arrangements may not be carried out as you intended.
Partner – Your spouse or civil partner may not automatically inherit your estate, and a cohabiting partner may get nothing at all.
Children – Any children under 18 years may have to go into care and end up in a foster home.
Possessions – Your property, money and other assets could be disposed of or be sold by the government.
Tax – Inheritance Tax is payable at a flat rate of 40% on anything above £325,000 unless your Will contains mitigating measures.
Debts – Your loved ones could end up inheriting your debts, which may cause financial hardship.
Family tension – Arguments may arise between family members over who should get what.
Unworthy heirs – Your estate may end up going to a relative who you have no intention of bequeathing anything to.
How John Whyte’s Will Writing Service in Brighton can help
John Whyte provides an efficient and cost-effective Will Writing Service in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex and beyond, helping you to get your affairs in order, so you can enjoy the rest of your days with full peace of mind, knowing that your loved ones are protected.
- We are part of Stanford Legal Services with expert and up-to-date knowledge of probate and inheritance law. We can advise on the best approach to making your Will, ensuring that it is legally valid and minimises your inheritance tax exposure.
- We are experienced financial advisers with a wealth of experience in mortgage and equity release We can discuss your assets and family circumstances including every possible scenario you should consider when making a Will.
- We write your Will in a language you can understand, ensuring that the correct legal terminology is used when it matters. A Will written by John Whyte makes sure that your final wishes are honoured and protected from potential challenges.
- With a professionally written Will, you have the peace of mind of knowing that everything is taken care of when the time comes, so that the process will be straightforward and not cause any additional stress to your loved ones.
Get in touch
If you are looking for trusted advice for Will Writing in Brighton and across Sussex, John Whyte should be your first port of call. Get in touch to have a confidential chat with an independent financial expert about how best to pass on your assets and protect your loved ones when you are no longer around.
Equity Release Sussex is a trading style of The Later Life Lending Network Limited, an Appointed Representative of The Right Mortgage Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Ref – 649443). Registered in England and Wales no. 09832887. Registered address: 70 St. Johns Close, Knowle, Solihull, England, B93 0NH.
For Independent Equity Release advice we do not charge any upfront fees however,
a fee of up to 1% of the total cash facility arranged is payable (subject to a typical minimum charge of £1,295) on completion for our service in relation to lifetime mortgage contracts plus commission from the lender.
The exact amount will depend on the complexity and work involved in your case and will be confirmed by way of a formal fee agreement.
For Independent Mortgage Advice we charge a fee of up to 1% of your mortgage amount payable (subject to a typical minimum charge of £295 payable on application & £300 on completion (£595 in total) plus commission from lender. The exact amount will depend on the complexity and work involved on your case and will be confirmed by way of a formal fee agreement.
The information contained in this website is subject to UK regulatory regime and is therefore intended for consumers based in the UK